Do you feel overwhelmed by too many goals? Learn a step-by-step approach to feel motivated and achieve your objectives.
It is mostly seen that sometimes our willpower gets down and decreases due to several factors responsible for this sudden change. But there is a way to stay motivated by raising the level of willpower.
For this, you have to make a strong commitment to yourself and stay on that till you do not achieve what you want to achieve. This is called commitment and dedication towards your goal. Willpower plays a vital role in almost every field of life and so willpower ever touches nearly all aspects of healthy living whether it is for eating right or exercising or to avoid alcohol or you want to study more by working harder and also want to spend less to save more. Everything requires the willpower.
“Willpower requires self-control.” -WittyWinks
Table of Contents
- What is Self-Control?
- How to Boost Your Willpower?
- 6 Steps for Boosting Your Willpower
- 1. Start changing one habit and stick on that until you change
- 2. Speed thrills but kills so start slow
- 3. Leave your comfort zone to face new challenges
- 4. Get enough sleep or rest to increase energy level
- 5. Meditation is a health tonic to increase your willpower – Meditate (for as little as 8 weeks)
- 6. Stop procrastination to gain focus on what is important now
What is Self-Control?
Self-control, an aspect of inhibitory control, is the ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behavior in the face of temptations and impulses. As an executive function, self-control is a cognitive process that is necessary for regulating one’s behavior in order to achieve specific goals. – Wikipedia
How to Boost Your Willpower?
Breaking a bad habit or establishing a new one can be difficult, but not impossible for anyone. If you try small effort each day consistently till you reach your goal, your persistence approach pays off to you.
It’s not going to be easy, but still, there are several ways to increase your willpower to achieve your goals.
6 Steps for Boosting Your Willpower
1. Start changing one habit and stick on that until you change
Never hurry in changing your habit more than one at a time, first start changing one and stick on that until you change it and go with the flow once you achieve your first goal.
Before you start, make sure you have a selected one habit you want to change, a proper plan with an execution strategy for achieving it. To increase your willpower requires extra energy so, focus on one goal at a time.
2. Speed thrills but kills so start slow
Momentum builds gradually, whatever you want to change, don’t expect to achieve it in hurry or in overnight because speed thrills but kills. Always remember that real success takes time.
If you are trying to kick your bed tea habit, start you day by replacing your morning cup of tea with a glass of water. This small achievement that will pave the way for a larger one. These small successes help your willpower grow.
3. Leave your comfort zone to face new challenges
Usually, your comfort zone is the main reason to stick to your bad habits. So if possible, try to leave your comfort zone to face new challenges. If you face new challenges, meet new people, you will feel that a new energy is flowing in your body and mind. And it will boost your willpower to take challenges.
But remember that avoid negative thinkers and demotivator in your new journey. A small change requires small effort and so a small willpower. But if you want to change your stubborn habits, there would be a need for extra willpower to achieve this task.
4. Get enough sleep or rest to increase energy level
- Actually, your energy can help you to boost your willpower. The question, How? Because sleep deprivation is a kind of chronic stress that impairs how the body and brain use energy and weaken your willpower.
- A relaxed body can have a relaxed and more energized brain and so the willpower.
5. Meditation is a health tonic to increase your willpower – Meditate (for as little as 8 weeks)
Meditation can also help in increasing the willpower, as well as improving attention, focus, stress management, and self-awareness. And it doesn’t take a lifetime of practice — brain functioning changes can be observed after eight weeks of brief daily meditation training.
6. Stop procrastination to gain focus on what is important now
I have already written a detailed post on what is procrastination and how to stop procrastinating. You can also learn about how to break procrastination habits in 6 steps.
I hope this bite-sized information about Willpower and the 6 steps to boost your willpower may work for you. Just try to follow these simple but effective steps by changing your habits one by one because if you really want to boost your willpower then it requires your commitment and dedication.
I am also waiting for your feedback on this. If you really think that information written above is worth, do share with your friends and family and also comment on this post.
Thanks for reading!!! 😉