Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and helps to protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals ( the compounds that are formed when our bodies convert the food we eat into energy.)
The amount of vitamin C we need each day depends on our age. The recommended dietary allowance for vitamin C is 90 mg per day for men and 75 mg per day for women. Pregnant women and lactating mothers need 85 mg and 120 mg per day, respectively. Cigarette smokers need an additional 35 mg of vitamin C per day.
Foods That Have More Vitamin C Than an Orange
When we think of foods enriched with Vitamin C the very first fruit that comes to our mind is Orange. But there are some foods that have more Vitamin C than an orange. Here’s the list;
1. Bell Peppers
- One medium red bell pepper contains 152 mg, while one medium green one contains 95.7 mg. And Yellow bell pepper carries an incredible 341 mg of vitamin C.
- These sweet little fruits contain 85 mg Vitamin C per serving.
- A single cup of broccoli contains 81 mg of vitamin C
- Pineapple contains 79 mg of vitamin C per cup.
- One tropical whole mango contains 122 mg of vitamin C
6. Indian Gooseberry or Amla
- Fresh amla juice contains 20 times as much vitamin C as is present in the orange juice.