Table of Contents
How to do baby proofing of a House?
1. Knowing the potential risks of a place
- When your baby gets on her hands and knees then remove all the hanging toys.
- When your baby starts crawling then put the mattress at the lowest position.
- Don’t leave toys near the baby when your baby is sleeping.
- Keep the drop side of crib up and locked when you are not in the room.
- Don’t hang toys or objects that could be a hazard on the cot or bed.
- Put a mosquito net over the baby’s cot.
- Water level should always be upto baby’s legs in baby’s bathtub.
- Check the temperature of water by dipping your elbow. Use warm water always.
- First add cold water in the bath tub and then add hot water.
- Put a non slip mat.
iv) REST OF THE HOME:
- Keep other electrical appliances out of the reach of your baby.
- Cover all the edges and corners of the furniture with a foam using two sided tape.
- Secure furniture that can topple.
- If railings have wider openings i.e. more than 6.5 cms then block them with a plyboard, MDF board or with plexiglass.
- Install safety gates to block the way to the stairs at the top and at the bottom.
- Use window guards on the windows.
- Use window blinds with tensioned cord, concealed cord or without cord.
- Keep your baby and your baby’s cot away from window.
- Doors also pose a great threat of injury to your baby. Use removable foam clips to stop the door from closing.
- Keep these locked and out of your baby’s reach.
- Don’t use table cloth and place mats, because your baby will pull them and anything on them down.
- Use garbage bin with a childproof lid.
- Put locks and latches on the drawers and cupboards.
- Keep the cleaning liquids out of your baby’s reach and in a locked closet.
vi) PLAYING AREA:
- Don’t leave your kid unsupervised.
- Give your baby those toys which do not have sharp edges, smaller parts, color that can chip off.
These were few tricks to baby proof your home but nothing is comparable to YOUR CONTINUOUS SUPERVISION. So in order to keep your child safe you have to stay alert when you have your baby with you.