Strong women who fought against the odds
1. Muniba Mizari: The artist-activist-writer, was named Pakistan’s first female Goodwill Ambassador by the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. She’s a strong women who inspires us with her inspirational stories. she says “Before you ‘dis’ our ability, always remember that a person who is differently abled only needs your empathy, not your sympathy.”
2. Taslima Nasrin is a Bangladeshi author and former physician who has been living in exile since 1994. She gained global attention by the beginning of 1990s owing to her essays and novels with feminist views and criticism of what she characterizes as all “misogynistic” religions including Islam.
3. Sunita Tomar: The poster girl of the anti-tobacco campaign in India, Sunita Tomar came from a small town in Madhya Pradesh. she developed oral cancer due to chewing smokeless tobacco. She says that she did it for the pleasure, knowing little of its harmful effects. When Sunita was chosen to participate in a Public Service Announcement (PSA) by sharing her personal testimony, she agreed in order to create awareness in the country, despite the terrible pain and arduous treatment she was going through. It is sad that she lost the battle to cancer and died on April 1st 2015.
4. Arunima Sinha was a national level volleyball player but her life changed when she was thrown out of a moving train by some thieves in 2011. With a strong will to succeed, she became the first amputee from India and the first woman amputee in the world to have climbed Mt. Everest.
5. Gauri Sawant, a third gender woman, has now become the talk of the town after her appearance in the ad by Vicks. Her story is really inspiring. She adopted a girl child and was raising her since 10 years. She is also an activist of LGBTQ community in India.
6. Sunitha Krishnan is a rape survivor and has suffered sexual assault many a times. She has dedicated her life to protect the women and children who are victims of trafficking. she runs an anti-trafficking organization named Prajwala .
7. Prithika Yashini set an example by her legal fight to join Tamil Nadu Police Academy, being a transgender. She is now appointed as SI at Dharmapuri district in TN.
Above 7 names are not the least. There are so many other faces behind the society. If you have heard or know the one, just send us some lines about and we will post full story on our website.