Milkha Singh is one in all the best athletes India has ever produced. Milkha Singh is a former Indian track and field runner who was the first Indian male athlete to win an individual athletics gold medal at a Commonwealth Games. He is a real inspiration as a result of he belonged to a time once there was no coach for him, no reward for his effort and no job security to keep training, all he had was a will to win which created him greater.
Top 10 Facts You Did Not Know About Milkha Singh – The Flying Sikh
- As a young boy Milkha Singh wont to walk a distance of ten kilometers barefoot from his home to a village school in Pakistan.
- Several members of his family together with his father were killed throughout the partition of India. His father’s last words as he lay dying were “Bhaag, Milkha” (run for your life Milkha).
- This legendary runner was eliminated within the 1st spherical of 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia!
- While within the army, he usually trained himself by racing against the meter gauge trains.
- He generally trained himself, therefore, exhausting that he wont to spit blood, urinating blood and even fall unconscious throughout his follow sessions.
- At the 1958 Cardiff Commonwealth Games, Milkha became the first individual to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games from independent India.
- His success within the 1958 Asian Games led to his promotion from a Sepoy to Junior commissioned officer in the army.
- Milkha Singh became a source of surprise at the 1960 Rome Olympic Games because the Romans had ne’er before seen any contestant sporting such a singular headgear and long beard!
- He accepted solely Rs. 1 from film producer Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra to permit him to create his biopic ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag’.
- He refused to just accept the prestigious Arjuna Award in 2001 expression it came “40 years too late”.